RE: [RC] Land useage for rides - Mcgann, Barbara

Bob,

I'm sure there are going to be people on here who can figure it right down to the inch, but I can ballpark tell you that you would be looking at a lot more land than this....we had a 500 acre ranch in Colorado and I had a loop trail around the perimeter....it was approximately 3-4 miles.  I could ride it in 45 minutes at a walk.   1000 acres might get you a 10 mile trail with some creativity, but then you would have to have the riders do it 5 times.   Here in the Boise, Idaho area we have an area that we have put rides on in that is approximately 30,000 acres and that allows for 2 or 3 different loops out through the area.

Barb McGann

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bob Fletcher
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 15:03
To: Ride Camp
Subject: [RC] Land useage for rides

I would like to ask Ride Managers how do they find and get useage for the land to hold a ride.
How much land does it require to put on a 50+.  I have done 50's that were with only one vet check that we looped through, not my favorite, and then the ones that are one huge circle, much better.  From a Ride Manager standpoint, how do you choose where to put on your rides?

If, hypothetically, I were to want to put on a ride how would you direct me towards selecting the right type of property? Would I need to look for 100 acres (smaller ride of course) , 500 acres 1000+ acres? I would like to know more towards the 50+ distance rides.