[RC] standing wraps versus polo wraps - Sheila_Larsen

I am confused that your vet said polo wraps would cause damage,  because
they offer no support at all and you have to work very hard to make them
too tight..  They do offer protection but not support.  With that said they
work ok if you are just putting on a poultice (with appropriate padding)
just to hold everything in place.  A standing wrap should offer more
pressure (and subsequent "support") again with the appropriate padding
underneath.  What will really cause damage in inappropriate application of
standing wraps.  Having worked as a professional groom at an import sale
barn of warmbloods and at the track allow me to give some hints in proper
wrapping for a standing wrap.

First:  wrap the wrap very tightly and evenly.  That means do not roll the
wrap as you are unwrapping the leg. Just get the wrap off and then rewrap
it.  It takes practice to get a tight even wrap.  The better the roll the
better the final wrap on the leg will be.

Second: Always wrap front to back on the outside of the leg but most
important is not to give the wrap a tug as you are pulling the wrap
forward, maintain an even pressure all the way round.  If you tug you put
extra pressure on the tendon and uneven pressure from the bandage.

Third:  Make even sweeps down and up the leg.  That takes practice
practice practice.  I have also found that most wraps are a little long for
our small arabs so either cut the wraps or make very small sweeps.

I am sure there are excellent articles out there on the internet that would
also provide pictures.

As for the padding underneath for injuries I find the mushy pillowy padding
doesn't work as well as rolled cotton and a cotton leg wraps.  For a leg
injury i would use rolled cotton and then a cotton leg wraps or satin sheet
cotton and then the standing wrap.  Now for shipping I might use the mushy
pillowy ones if I am going wrap.

Ok it is a sad thing but one of my proudest moments was when one of my
favorite vets said "You wrap better than I do"  <g>

Oh did I say practice practice practice.

Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad
judgment.
Rita Mae Brown