Re: [RC] memories - Truman Prevatt

Most likely the F117 built by Locheed in Atlanta. I'm always very careful when the shuttle is landing in FL. It's final approach is right over the top of us. I was ready to put my foot in the stirrup one Sunday morning at 7:30 to out into the woods and it comes over. Sonic booms come in pairs - leading and tailing wave. And the flying bus know as the space shuttle makes a very big one. If I had been mounted or was in the process - who knows where I would have ended up.

Truman

Jody Rogers-Buttram wrote:
Ok Truman, I can do that....At the Tellico ride one year (the Tennessee 50/75/100) I was at a gravel crossroads where there was a timer. I think it was some type of stop and go thing. Anyway, Jackie Mitchell was there with her truck, me and my Pookie #1- Phillip were waiting out our time to go. We were sitting on the tailgate of this truck, holding our two horses facing us, on the top of one of those mountain ridges. When we "see" this black thing fly over at treetop high. It was black, flat and triangle shaped, and it was close enough that I could literally see the bolts in the bottom of it. We had just enough time to think, "Oh crap, the zonic boom". And sure 'nough, it hit. Those two horses nearly loaded into the back of that truck on top of us !!! I found out many years later.....that what we saw was the stealth bombers and that this area was where they flew them during tests. Oh, it was fun then.
Jody

*/Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>/* wrote:

    There is a bombing range in the Ocala NF. There used to be an F16
    squadron at McDill that used this range. On my first 100 - it was
    a big
    50 mile loop. We came on this huge tower in the middle of the
    woods with
    a billboard sized platform on top. It had a number painted on it.
    I was
    wondering what the heck it was when two F16's came roaring over about
    three feet over the tree tops in rapid succession. The tower was to
    direct the pilots to the range as I later found out. How close
    were them
    - one pilot had blue eyes the other green ;-) . It startled the
    dickens
    out of me. My horse was pretty much overwhelmed and just looked up.

    On the second time around - as soon as we got on that section of
    trail
    she kept looking around and looking up. I did that ride three
    times and
    every time we got to that section of trail she was looking around for
    the big loud birds.

    Somehow looking back these unusual occurrences seem to the ones that
    stick out in our minds.

Truman

--

    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a
    into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil