[RC] Rising/Posting the Trot - Diane

I just caught part of this dicussion and hopefully can help some here.  First of all, I couldn't imagine riding a sitting trot for miles.  What good can that be for the horse?  Anyhow, when I teach rising trot, I say it's a more up and over the horse's neck movement.  You post into your hands with your abdomen.  A pelvic thrust of sorts, if you will.  It is not an up and down motion only; it's forward and up.  When you sit, you try to lightly touch the saddle, not thump down.  You wait for horse to push you up.  Most people work way too hard at this.  Breathe, center and let it happen.  I have taught my guys to slow down with just my breath.  Another thing when you are really moving along is to get in a two point position.  The big thing with all of these things is to make sure your legs and feet are underneath you.  If your stirrups are too long or set too far forward, you will brace with your legs and your balance (yes, there is bad balance) will be lost.  You need to have a bend in your knee so your joints can work like they are supposed to.  Try not to hollow your back like the hunt seat equitation riders do; that can hurt you.  The spine was not designed to work like that.  Well, I hope this helps.  There is no substitute for good riding to keep your horses sound.
Thanks for reading.
Diane
MI