[RC] re: Sitting the Trot - David Bennett

Couldn't help but comment on this one.  I did my first two years of endurance
with a bad knee.  I kept putting off doing anything about it because it would
get a little better and I did not want to miss any of the rides.  Also, the
only time I was not in extreme pain with the knee was when I was in the saddle
gripping with my thighs and knees.   So, I kept riding and competing.   Then, I
caught it on a sawn-off log during the Dawson Forest ride during the fall of
the second year and injured it MUCH worse.   It was so bad that at the next
ride someone asked a 'friend' who I was because I was so twisted up when trying
to walk.  Her answer was that I was 'my handicapped friend, Dave'.    That is
not an exact quote because I won't repeat her actual words here.  Anyway, we
finished the 50 the next day in 8th place with a happy, sound horse and grade-3
rider.  That was a total of seven 50-mile rides that year.  Two weeks later I
had the arthroscopic surgery to remove 80% of the torn cartilage in that knee.
Eight years later, at age 50, I badly injured the other knee when my horse and
I cut too close around a pine tree.  So, I had the same surgery for that knee.

During the times I had such pain in the knees I cannot recall ever wanting to
sit the trot.   The motion of posting did not make the ache worse.  And it was
MUCH less painful than trying to walk by myself.   Maybe I just had lots of
endorphins flowing while I was riding!!!

Dave

Spottedracer wrote:
If all of us were as physically healthy, with strong legs and pain-free knees
- such as yourself.. I'd agree that discussing furthering your riding
education through the inclussion of dressage - may not be suitable for
endurance
riders to discuss.
Though, it does SEEM that there is a high-percentage of endurance riders that
do not enjoy the same health and fitness that you do.
So obviously, This is a topic that MANY endurance riders are interested in.
And many can find useful on the trail. Since we can't depend on being
physically ABLE to post for extended periods of time.
- LP