[RC] EHV-1 A Must Read On Vaccinating Part 3 of 4 Revised - Don Huston

                          Part 3 of 4

The answer to that question, in the short term, is an emphatic no. It is
the short term that we are concerned about after potential exposure. We
have discussed how vaccination causes a short term dip in the immunity
in general. This dip in immunity is, logically but unfortunately,
especially pronounced for the disease we are vaccinating against! Thus,
if your horse has had potential exposure to EHV1 (also known as Equine
Herpes or Rhinopneumonitis) and is potentially incubating the virus,
vaccinating him will actually increase the odds that he develops
clinical signs. In the case of the neurological form of EHV1, this is a
potentially fatal decision. For most other diseases, the ramifications
are not so dire. Sickness is usually just an unfortunate event that
horses and humans will generally recover from. Nature is, after all, on
our side.

The experience of vaccinating and aiding the appearance of clinical
disease was brought clear to me as when I worked as a farm veterinarian.
I would inevitably see an increase in the number of runny noses, coughs
and fevers following the herd administration of a round of flu/rhino
vaccine given to young foals. Unfortunately, at that time I could not
put the facts together correctly and, instead, reacted to the situation
by stubbornly continuing to vaccinate horses at a younger and younger
age. Needless to say, this did not solve the problem.

The correct response was probably to develop as hardy a group of foals
as possible in a large farm situation. This would include allowing them
opportunity for reasonable exercise (note: I did not say unlimited
exercise unless Darwinian survival is what you are after. Most owners
will have a very hard time with that explanation. I tried it once and
will never go there again), decrease relative and absolute over-crowding
in all paddocks and pastures, decrease dust and heat exposure and pay
attention to correct nutrition. Correct nutrition includes both the
creep feed for the foals as well as for the dam throughout her
pregnancy. Also important is the benefit of quarantine of new arrivals
from young stock for 21 days. This will cut down on preventable
exposure. I know that vaccination is easier to institute than this list.
Institution of all of these measures on a farm at the same time is
seldom practical in my practice area. What remains true is that
vaccination, in-of-itself is not sufficiently effective and can, in
fact, be counter productive.

Does this mean we are not to vaccinate our livestock? Of course not, It
does mean that you, as the horse owning public and ultimate consumer,
can easily understand the more rational use of vaccines. Use the best
quality vaccine possible, use them sparingly but at appropriate times,
group vaccines as little as possible, separate their administration by
10 days, do not vaccinate 21 days before or after vanning horses.
Perhaps most importantly, do not vaccinate in the face of possible
exposure to a disease.

What then is the best response to possible exposure to a contagious
disease? The response would be the same whether the disease is
influenza, Strangles or, as in the current situation, EHV1. The rational
approach is to bolster the immune response.

Decrease stress as much as possible, increase the quality and quantity
of high quality nutritional support and begin immune stimulants as
quickly as possible. The immune stimulants that we use are generally of
two types, the oral supplements and the injectable medication designed
for intra-venous administration. These two forms of administration can
and should be combined. For oral support, we use Transfer Factor (Life
Data Labs) and Platinum Performance (Platinum Products). We follow label
administration directions. For IV use, Eq-stim and Zylexis (Pfizer) are
the two choices. Zylexis has been tested specifically against viruses
prior to its recent release on the open market. If there is a concern
about exposure to EHV1, use the Zylexis and the oral supplements as
discussed. . The administration schedule for both Eq-stim and Zylexis is
similar. It is listed to give a total of 3 injections, day 1, day 4 and
day 7. At the least, separate their administrations by 48 hours. A
single shot helps, 2 shots are better than 1 and three better than 2. A
situation may change dramatically in a short time period and not
necessitate the expense, time and potential complications of IV shots.
Stay informed and get the most current and accurate information from
your veterinarian.

                          See Part 4

Don Huston  <donhuston@xxxxxxx>