Re: [RC] The Great Santa Fe Trail Horse Race/Thanks - rides2far

 Willy > has grit> and heart, hopefully he will make it through the 50
mile vet checks.
He is a> panting fool and all business. His business like attitude is
his
downfall as> he sometimes will not drink and cares not to graze when I
offer it
to him.> Hopefully someone bigger then us from up above will be
watching
because we> will be needing it

Susan,
If it weren't for the DVM after your name everyone on here would probably
collapse with fear for you after reading the above quote.  Those are the
horses who are sooo willing to get themselves in trouble because they are
so competitive. Out of shape horses go lame, but at least that doesn't
kill them. Overenthusiastic horses with lots of heart and not enough
experience to get religion kill themselves by doing something as harmless
sounding as not eating when they have the chance. It's a hard thing to
teach them and the way you do it is by boring them with miles of
competition and convincing them that this is no  big deal.

I don't think I'd be so concerned if your goal was to go to regular
established rides. I think everyone is nervous that this Santa Fe deal
will go wrong, that lots of people who don't have the miles behind them
to spot these little undramatic details (like not eating) will show up
and the "Great Adventure" will involve lots of IV's.

I'd just like to put in a good word for the Great Adventure of the sport
of endurance in general. You don't have to go to the ride that's putting
out flyers like the old promoters who were trying to get pioneers to move
out west. "Move to Oregon, the soil is so lush you can drop a seed and
tomorrow you've got a crop!"  What's such a "Great Adventure" about
*this* race that makes it better than doing one of the other Pioneer
Rides out there? If you go to a regular pioneer ride you'll be surrounded
by people who know what the heck they're doing. Their horses will set a
good example for your horse which will encourage him to eat and drink
whereas the other will probably have lots of horses who are as excited as
yours at the novelty of the event.  Everybody knows that when you go to a
ride the first time it's held there are often problems that get worked
out in later years. The management of an established Pioneer ride will
almost without fail put on a safer more enjoyable event than someone who
is figuring it out as they go.  You sound like you've got a lot of
potential as a future endurance rider. I'm just saying you'll probably
stand a better chance of making a good one and helping your horse become
a successful endurance horse if you both do your learning at established
rides.

BTW, I did buy a book > post-ride.
I dug it out today. It is Endurance and Competitive Trail Riding, by
Wentworth Tellington and Linda Tellington-Jones, copywrite 1979.

I borrowed a copy of that when I got started in 1987. Good stuff, but
we've learned a LOT in the last 28 years. Nancy Loving has a newer book
you might check into. Also, why not get a copy of AERC's vet video on
DVD. You can also go to AERC.org and click on the education link. There's
lots of info there.

Interesting
book, here is what they discuss about clothing: One of the greatest
contributions to endurance riding has been the development of
women's panty> house,

I heard of a guy whose leg hairs worked through the hose, then kinda
knotted up. Had a bit of trouble getting them off. >g< I HATE panty hose.
Tights have a more comfortable waistband by far. Also, if you get your
jeans wet, you'll wish you'd worn tights.

Laney, you talked of carrying two water bottles on your person. I
have> thought about using my military Camelbak. Has anyone ever used
one?

Many do. I prefer waterbottles so I can squirt my horse's neck. After I
use one up I can refill it from streams for more squirting while drinking
from the other.

Something else just occurred to me: what kind of horse
hauling/living> arrangement do you have?

Nothing anybody else would want to camp in....especially for an extended
time. :-P I'll let others comment on that!

bags, and a grill are all we need. I am not sure if showers will be
available.

I'll bet money you'll just be praying to find a gas station that will let
you pay to fill up your water tanks.

If not, in the past we have set up a sunshower system in
that
part of the trailer where the horses are housed. We do have a water
container that houses several gallons of water for the horses.

I go through 55 gallons of water for 2 horses at a one day competition.

Angie