Re: [RC] Team Name OD 100 - Jody Rogers-Buttram

See Bruce,   the Village People is OUT.

Now, should I push it a little farther and ask him to wear a shirt that says, "POOKIE" on it????
He won't drink my Wild Turkey.....it makes him mean. But, Of course, I would hate to see how darn mean it would make ME, if I came into a check at around 70 miles and he HAD drank my Turkey up from me.  That might be the end of the marriage right then and there.  :))
 Never seen him drink anything other than Beer.  I pay for the crewing in Beer.  So, according to Truman, I may need to buy a LOT more beer for this one.
And Truman, you can ask anyone, Joel aka Pookie, is already the most abused, mistreated crew in the world.  How could it possibly get worse??????  I think that this speak volumns for his character, and self control for NOT killing me in the past  few years.  As long as I don't ask him to participate in the sport himself, on a horse, he is resigned to be the pit crew, mechanic, and driver. Although, I do have to tell how to drive, and tell him when is not doing it correctly.  :))

Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jody Rogers-Buttram wrote:

> You've got a point there, but I don't know that it will fly with my
> Pookie. :))

Let me tell you what happens to relationships between crew and rider at
the OD - espeically when some sort of other relationship, e.g. spousal,
is involved. By about 70 miles it getting a little testy. By that time a
crew has packed and unpacked - usually the wrong stuff according to the
rider - a number of times the strain is starting to show. If they are
using Camp Roosevelt as a check, that means hopping a ride on a truck
that is running shuttle to get it there.

By about 70 miles they have driven 5 times the number of miles than the
rider has ridden. By 70 miles the crew is beat to hell and one more
"dear, would you go back to the truck parked 1/8 of a mile down the road
and get me my lipstick - I look a mess" might be enough to push them
over the edge. It only gets compounded as they leave the check at 80
miles and head cross country again usually only arriving at the River a
few minutes before the riders to have to rush to set up. Then you get to
Liberty Hall, where there is almost zero parking and the crews have to
carry eveything a long way - usually in the dark to the check. I suspect
there are a lot of marriages that end there. I've witnessed what might
have been the demise of two if not for an independent bystander that
stepped forward to keep the crew from grabbing the rider by the throat
and squeezing until their eyes bugged out.

If you are make it through that one - you're probably okay.

However, if you make your crew wear something that they don't consider
appropriate for the importance of their job- they just might drink the
Wild Turkey waiting for you at 70 miles and tell you - we're partying
you're on your own!

I vote for anything other than the Village People.

Truman

--

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein