Re: [RC] [RC] Pasture Arrangements with Mares/Geldings - Rosalie Marley

My young stallion got along great with my gelding... until he didn't one day. A few months after he turned 4, the stallion attacked the gelding (who was running away), grabbing his hocks and throwing him to the ground twice.  Lots of bites/bruises on the gelding's side, along with lots of bites on the hind leg above the hock.  They were the only ones in the 15 acre field, except for a short yearling colt, son of the stallion (he had the good sense to stay away from the fight.)  I will say that the stallion came to me when I called him and calmly let me put him away, and he has always gotten along great with his mares and foals.

I think it was some kind of personality conflict along with sudden increase in hormones.  The stallion, now almost 5, is at the trainers where he is ridden often with geldings and visits with them over the fence.  I think it depends alot on the individuals.

Rosalie