RE: [RC] Pasture Arrangements with Mares/Geldings - Rae Callaway

Hmm, my herd is 5 mares and 6 geldings.? Other than keeping the stallion and the old guy separate, the rest of the herd has been mixed and matched between two pens since the youngest filly got old enough to take care of herself.? My pens aren’t huge.? The large one is maybe ¾ an acre and the smaller one, about a ½ an acre.? I change the mix-up every so often, too.? They get used to other personalities, other locations and most important – CHANGE.? I’ve got two that I never changed pens on when they were growing up and now they get very stressed if they get moved.? Definitely learned my lesson on that one.?

Rae

Tall C Arabians - Central

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Equus Wolf
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 10:59 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Pasture Arrangements with Mares/Geldings

>>>>So, my question is:
What do you do about mixing geldings and mares?
thanks
Keith<<<<<

When I was younger, I had my horse at a farm where mares and geldings were kept together.  I never saw it as a problem *if* the horses were a good match in personalities.  However, my mare hooked up with a gelding and it would take us hours to catch them (never had catching problems until that.)  The gelding was moved to another pasture and problem solved immediately.  I also remember another mixed pasture that frequently had injured horses from kicks/bites because the geldings didn't "get the drift" when the mares were in heat and got too close (even if it was innocent.)

Since then, I have been at stables that keep mares and geldings separated.  Herd dynamics just seem to work better.  It prevents the mare/gelding forgot he was a gelding issue.  We also keep the pastures rotated in such a way that the mares and geldings never share a fence line.  No broken fences yet.  And that's a first of anywhere I've been.

I think it just depends on the types of horses you have (personality wise).  Both of my mares would be find with geldings that knew they were geldings.  I know mares that would tear a gelding up if he even thought of entering her "space" *laugh*

Sounds almost like a playground at school!

Jennifer