Re: [RC] road riding- crazy drivers/ crazy rider :) - Winter, Randy or Cheryl

   Ed, after your post I Googled and found a site which stated that the law
varies from state to state and to check with your local motor vehicles
bureau to find out the law in your state.  The motor vehicle bureau directed
me to the public affairs office of the Colorado State Patrol.  The officer
there contradicted the deputy I spoke with locally.  This time the answer
was that horses needed to ride on the right.  They are going to send me the
statute but what is evident to me is that this is a law that is not commonly
understood or known by law enforcement.
   Since many of us do ride the roads and may have to ride more roads in
the future this may really be an issue worth investigating not only from
complying with the law but from impacting the law if indeed as I believe it
is not the more practical and safe way to ride considering how we use horses
on the roads today.  The law was probably written in the days when horses
were used for transportation rather than recreation.
Randy

As far as I know the LAW in all states is that horses, whether ridden or
driven,  go on the right just like automobiles.  Remember that ridden and
driven horses were on the right side of N American streets and roads
centuries before the invention of cars.

As to which way would be safer, that is a moot point.  The safest is for all
to follow the law, otherwise a chaotic situation will result.  Chaos invites
accidents.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road