Re: [RC] Snacks/drinks at a No Frills ride in the Northeast? Advice needed. - Barbara McCrary

In the early years of our Swanton Pacific ride, there was a lovely older woman living near the first vet check who baked cinnamon rolls and sold them to the riders.  I never heard a complaint or criticism about that.  It's rider's choice, I should  think, whether they want to buy or not.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 3:35 AM
Subject: [RC] Snacks/drinks at a No Frills ride in the Northeast? Advice needed.

My new ride in August is being hosted at the barn where I board Zephyr.  The barn owner?s sister sent me the following email.

?I was just thinking. I belong to the Aussie rescue group here in Maine and we are always looking for ways to raise money for the group. Will there be a need for a refreshment stand the day of the ride? Our group has run stands at other events such as dog expos, sporting events, and other animal related gatherings. We could sell soda, juice, bottled water ,homemade treats and handout info to people interested in dog rescue or adoption. The group carries it's own insurance too. Let me know if this is anything your interested in.?

I do not have the volunteers to handle meals so I was not planning on including dinner on Friday or Saturday night in the ride fee, although I may order pizzas for an extra fee.  I asked her if they could provide Friday dinner at an extra fee and Saturday dinner which I would pay for out of the ride fees, but she said that was beyond their capabilities.

I don?t want my riders to have to pay out-of-pocket for things like that at a ride... I?d rather not offer them at all (which was my plan originally).  Then I thought about paying their group out of ride funds for the kinds of drinks/snacks she?s offering, but if I?m not having meals I feel funny about having those types of things... wouldn?t that make it NOT a No Frills ride?

I?d like to help her out but don?t want to offend anyone who comes to my ride!  Can anyone think of a way I can help her group?  Feel free to email me privately at sharon1359 at spamcop dot net.

Thanks,

Sharon Levasseur

Manager of the Hot Toddy Hustle (Maine)

www.zegifts.com/HTH/hot-toddy-hustle.htm