Re: [RC] 100 milers - Truman Prevatt

You have to want to do a 100. You have to want to do a 100 more than anything else. That's the bottom line. If you want to do it bad enough you will find a way. When I did my first 100, I was traveling for three days every two weeks. I spend many a three week trips in England. But I did a 100. I got in training when I could. I got up at 4:30 AM (even if I had just gotten home from the airport at 1:30 AM) two or three days a week when I was home and did a good fast 7 to 10 mile training ride finishing in time to take a shower, feed and be to work on time. Then I got in a longer ride on the weekend. I gave up riding with other people so every step of my ride had a purpose - to get read for a 100.

Yep it's a commitment but that's how you get there. Yep it's a commitment - but one well worth it. If you really want to do a 100, you can do it. It just takes a focused commitment to get ready and get around.

Once you ride across the finish line of your first 100 with a horse that is rip roaring still ready to go - you will then understand a joy and peace that is difficult to find anywhere else. Finishing your first 100 is a feeling of accomplishment that every endurance rider should experience at least once in their life.

As Wade Boggs said in his induction to the baseball hall of fame.

"Life is about obstacles. Endeavors in life are not to be overlooked. Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens. Not by what life brings us, but the attitude we bring to life."

Or as Larry the Cable guy says "Git 'er done."

Truman

Jody Rogers-Buttram wrote:

Hey everybody,
I don't want people out there to think that they "Can't" do it. I have to work a job to you know. No money, no rides!!!! What I'm saying is, that you have to decide if the rides are worth putting the "other extra stuff" aside. It comes down to work, horses, rides and minimal family life. I haven't been able to figure out how to have a "real" vacation. All the time off from work, and money goes to going to the horse rides. Poor Joni, she will be 12 in July, and hasn't seen the beach yet. Do we have endurance rides on the gulf coast yet???? There's an idea.
Jody
PS. So don't give up people.....fight for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To quote my favorite....Every man dies, not every man really lives.

--

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein