Re: [RC] Hoof toughening - Sisu West Ranch

"....Formaldehyde is poisonous, and
I would guess that's why it is not easily available anymore..."

It is more insidious than that.

First, the chemist in me, prompts a note upon nomenclature. Formaldehyde is a gas (an important distinction as we will see), Formalin is a water solution of Formaldehyde.

The Formaldehyde in the Formalin is quite reactive and will cross link or harden lots of chemicals, including the various proteins in skin. This is good.

Because it is a gas some of it will evaporate from the formalin or from a product where more was used to harden the glue than was necessary. Since even small amounts inhaled will react in the lungs, a number of people will become allergic upon exposure. The early permanent press resins caused problems with some people. People living in homes and especially house trailers became sensitized to Formaldehyde and had all sorts of asthma or asthma like symptoms. The source of the gas was the carelessly made plywood paneling in the home.

Producers of paneling lost a number of lawsuits over this, and now industry is very careful about products and worker exposure. Currently produced plywood and paneling does not release measurable amounts of formaldehyde.

If I were to use a formalin based concoction to toughen a horses feet I would wear rubber gloves, eye protective goggles or full face shield, work outside, wear an OSHA (one of those government agencies that every one complains about) approved organic vapor mask, and double wash clothing after.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875