Re: [RC] helmets, my perspective//Cynical But True - Beverley H. Kane, MD

Title: Re: [RC]  helmets, my perspective//Cynical But True
When the California motorcycle helmet law went into effect in 1992, we ER docs/nurses/paramedics somewhat, but not totally, tongue-in-cheek bemoaned the fact that there would be fewer organs for transplantation, typically harvested from healthy young bikers.  Statistically, this proved to be the case.

(Also, statistically, high risk behavior does increase both stratified and overall insurance rates. As do preventable diseases, in vitro fertilization, care for the uninsured, salvaging 1-lb babies, and Karen Schiavo-type cases. Not only raises rates, but raises thorny issues in resource allocation, social Darwinism, and medical ethics.)

So one’s attitude toward helmets gets skewed by whether you and your friends are the ones riding or are the ones who are in the top ten on the waiting list for a new liver.

Beverley