Re: [RC] EasiestBoot? - Laney Humphrey

Are her feet still so tender that she can't deal with a little bit of gravel in between points A & B? I can understand that you don't want to risk getting her hurt at a show but if she's been barefoot for a while, I would think her feet could deal with a bit of gravel.
Laney

Andrea Faustina wrote:
Hi all! Question for you about hoof protection. I currently use EasyBoots on my Arab gelding for all of our training and rides. I love them! No problems whatsoever. But my question is regarding my other horse. I have a Quarter Horse that I compete in barrel racing on barefoot. She does great without shoes. I have had absolutely no problems in the arena with her. At home we work in an arena with good footing as well. When I take her out for trail rides at home I use the EasyBoots. The problem is that at some venues we have had to walk across gravel and other less than ideal footing to get to warm-up arenas and the competition arena. Most places are ok and last year we weren't traveling far so I would only go to those places that I knew had good footing from arena to warmup to trailer, etc. But this year we are traveling to new places and I have encountered a couple that weren't so hot. So.... here are my thoughts. The EasyBoots are not really going to work for us because of the time it takes to remove them (I know I'm being lazy : ) ) and I don't really want to have to take my screwdriver with me to take them off of her once we get to the warm-up areas. I have been looking into the Simple boot and the Boa boot. They look like the quickest off and on. I really don't care if they stay on very well or rub because I am only using them to walk from point A to point B which will be a very short distance. The biggest concern is ease of off and on application. They are all pretty pricy for what I need them for but they will also last a very long time! I plan on wearing a backpack to put them in once we are at our destination. I also think I will only need a pair for the front feet but should I just boot her up all the way around??
Thanks for any input! Appreciate the advice! Andrea