[RC] helmets without holes - Mom Alexander

The "old style" jockey helmets (looks like an egg) do not have any holes.  Right out of high school I used to ride TB's at the track (exercise rider/jockey wannabe).  We wore these helmets that were simple, but very protective.  I don't know how many times I was on a horse that stumbled and fell during a stakes race, and my head is fine (I think). We also wore these during cross country when I got heavy into 3 day eventing.  They are very plain looking and rough on the outside.  This is so your helmet cover, which you can get in a million different color combinations, will "stick" to the helmet.  They still use these helmets today for these two sports.  Yes, they are very hot, no ventilation, but also very light weight and don't look huge on your head.  And you can get several different covers to go with whatever mood you're in that day.  I had one made with a little propeller on the top like Elroys.  (but, I can't remember the name of it...) I believe State Line Tack sells them, and Dover Saddlery.  The helmet itself has no visor, but the helmet cover does.  You'll know it as soon as you see it.  I'm glad you reminded me of this,  I was looking at getting a new helmet, and I think I'll go back to this one,  I really loved that helmet.

                                                                             Vicki