Re: [RC] Helmets . . . Again - Joe Long

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:28:40 -0700, Lif Strand <lif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think most of the problem I have with the arguments about the need
to wear helmets is that they are all fear based.  I think it all
comes down to the fact that people who don't wear helmets when they
ride have nothing they fear.

This is a very strange statement.  What it really says is that people who "have
nothing to fear" when riding a motorcycle, bicycle, or horse are in denial.  No
matter how competent and athletic they are, no matter how carefully they ride,
no matter how calm and settled the horse, shit happens.  Whether you survive
that shit when it happens to you, is what the choice is about.

You know, I survived a car crash into the woods at 80MPH, hitting two trees and
demolishing the car (it was on one of my backwoods races).  I walked away from
it because I was using the right safety gear.  I survived a motorcycle crash at
70MPH, because I was wearing leather and a helmet.  I don't live in fear
(obviously), but I do protect myself.

The way I see it, people should do what they want to do because they
want to do it - living a live because you're afraid not to do
something is not good enough for me.  If someone wants to wear a
helmet, then wear a helmet.  If you feel that the risk is enough that
wearing a helmet is justified, wear one.  But please, don't be
telling others to wear helmets, using fear arguments as justification
for that point of view.

I support the right of adult riders in endurance to make their own choices about
helmets, stirrup cages, body armor, etc, 100%.

Minors are another matter.  I support the rule that Juniors must wear helmets
100%, too.

The idea that small children are not at serious risk at rides because they have
adult sponsors is also denial, no different from what Lif said above.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx