Re: [RC] Helmets . . . Again - Truman Prevatt

Risk of an action is measured by the probability of a bad outcome from the action times (usually some more complex function by this will do ) the impact of the outcome. If the probability of a bad out come is very low but the impact of the outcome is very significant, e.g., a nuclear ractor blowing - the risk is still high.

While the probability of a serious crash on a horse may be low the consequence of scrambled brains is significant. Yep for me - I never get on a horse - even to try a saddle - without a helmet.

My wife has two pieces of titanium in her body one in her arm and another in her ankle from horse related accidents. She has a beat up helmet or two but no head injuries.

Every one has to make their own decision - except when their decision will impact society as a whole, e.g., they will end up with their care being paid for by the state (our taxes) or the person involved is a minor. In which cases the state has an interest and can and does enact restrictions on the actions, e.g., helmets for kids on bicycles, child restraints, seat belts, etc.

Truman

Tiffany D'Virgilio wrote:

I grew up never wearing a helmet, nobody really did back then, but over the last 6 years I completely changed my tune. I have little kids who also need a mom, plus a husband who needs a wife. I hated my troxel because well, whose head is that round? Now that I bought a Tipperary I am a happy camper. Great helmet! My horse and I went backwards down a ravine about 20 feet last October and I fell the entire way, bounced off a whole bunch of boulders and then got trampled. I was darn glad I never leave without my helmet. It had some nice gouges and scrapes on it. I wish the rest of my body had been as protected as my head. People's heads don't like gouges and scrapes too much, but helmets don't mind. I've had to care for some frightening head wounds from motorcycle riders that weren't wearing helmets and that taught me a lot of lessons. Us nuc. med. techs do all the brain death studies, and once you pick up a head to position and it sounds and feels like a broken hard boiled egg shell, you tend to want to protect the old noggin. One more point is that it would be pretty darned hypocritical of me to insist on my kids wearing helmets when I don't. I figure if I want them to always wear one, I should set the example. Tiffany-who cares what you look like-most endurance riders wear them, just quit hanging out with cowboys:)