RE: [RC] kids and horses - heidi

I think it depends on the maturity level of the kid riding.

Of course it does.  And that isn't something that AERC or any other
organization can legislate.

Joe's idea that he is speaking out for the child is hogwash.  Kids are
ready when they are ready, and Joe of all people should know that there
is no magic way to determine that.

I personally would not have been ready to do endurnance at age 6--but by
8 I was out riding range all day (far more taxing than going a bit
faster and doing a 50) because that was what MY dad did.  And the
7-year-old that I sponsored who came from an endurance family was more
than ready (I sponsored him on a 75, and he did 100s that year).  And
thank heavens that I was allowed other outlets for my own
precociousness--Joe, maybe you've never worked with exceptional kids,
but not having appropriate outlets IS damaging to them.  There is a
"magic time" for kids to start things that really turn them on--and if
you miss that time, you miss a trememdous opportunity for that child.

Joe and others have waved a red flag that it is somehow ok for kids to
go ride at younger ages, but that in these various other sports where
toddlers compete (motocross, etc.) they aren't competing against
adults, so that is somehow also "more ok" than going out and doing
endurance.  How do you figure that they compete with adults in
endurance?  (Talk about non-sequitors, Joe...)  They ride in their own
division, BUT they have to be sponsored by an adult, so there is ALWAYS
an adult there to hold their hands if necessary.  Karen's report of
Colton's ride was great--it detailed just how an adult can mentor a
kid, monitor his/her moods, and determine if it is really ok to keep
going.  IN NO OTHER YOUTH SPORT that I know of does the child have that
adult presence, helping, nurturing, protecting.  And if something goes
wrong, there are a whole host of other responsible, caring adults there
on the trail to lend a hand.  Gee, sounds a lot "safer" than some of the
daycares I've heard of!

And Truman, your excuse that a child doesn't have the strenth to control
a 1000-lb animal is another red herring.  You show me an ADULT that has
the physical strength to do so, and I'll eat my hat.  Riding horses is
not and has never been about physical domination of the horse by the
person.  I vividly recall an incident in my teens when a vet came out
to deworm my foundation stallion Surrabu via stomach tube (the only way
it could be done effectively back then).  Hearing that this stallion was
owned by a teen girl, this man brought two big "burly henchmen" with
him.  One grabbed Surrabu by each side of the halter, and the vet
applied a twitch to his nose.  Surrabu (who only weighed about 850)
simply sat back, pivoted on his haunches, and did a 180, neatly
depositing all three large men at the other end of the arc.  Now this
was a horse that I could shoe without a halter on and could lead with a
haytwine, and I was a scrawny 16-year-old girl.  I had another vet come
out (this one about 5'4" and not burly at all) and he would just
whistle a tuneless little tune and stroke him on the nose and gently
slide the stomach tube in--no fuss, no bother.  In fact, knowing that I
was planning to go to vet school, he taught me to do it, too--and ol'
Surrabu would just stand there, unthreatened.  Handling horses is not
about brute strength--it is about finesse, brains, and training.  And a
kind horse that has been well-trained by adults will also respond to a
halfway confident child.  So your argument about lack of brute strength
won't wash, either.

I was never blessed with children.  But if I had been, I'd sure rather
have them with me out on a horse (and yes, even at a ride--IF they
indicate by their actions and desires that they are ready) than in a
whole lot of other places available to kids today.  And it will be a
sorry day indeed if the AERC board ever does give in to this sort of
pressure and try to "fix" something that ain't broke.

Heidi