Re: [RC] Fw: Rc-Little big man - Joe Long

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:55:44 -0800, "Claudia Dawson" <dawson14@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: Claudia Dawson
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 9:42 AM
Subject: Rc-Little big man

We all hope that our children will never come to harm. This I   agree to,
however, you can only coddle so much. I for one, as a mom of two boys who've
developed an interest in riding, can't say how much enjoyment I have. A
lifelong sport, where I can compete -with- my children. This is something that
will be very precious to me, watching them ride about, brings tears my eyes.
Given a choice, I'd rather be involved with them,  in a sport, then having
them sit on the sidelines, or worse yet, hanging out at the local 7-11,
finding trouble to get into.  This is an experience where they learn things
that can't be replaced. Responsibilty, caring for animals, sportsmanship, and
a myriad other things, that I can't even think of.
Claudia

People keep talking about "coddling too much."  This is something of a red
herring.  No one is asking for coddling anyone.

If the AERC adopts a minimum age, it would most likely be about eight years old.
No one (certainly not me) is suggesting doing away with Juniors riding AERC
rides.

Requiring a child to be eight years old before entering an EVENT like an
endurance ride (a demanding event, with some real dangers) is not coddling.
What is so terrible about asking a six-year-old to grow a couple of years before
competing?  Has our demand for instant gratification become that extreme?

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx