Re: [RC] kids and horses/"older" men and horses - Truman Prevatt

DVeritas@xxxxxxx wrote:

/Truman said/: " A small child does not have the strength to manage a 700 to
1000 pound animal that evolved as prey"...
/Fractured Frankie responds/:
At fifty-three years of age, I suffered three major fractures during 2005. All due to horses. The last, serious enough to require blood transfusions, and the addition to my skeletal structure of nine steel plates. I'm relatively strong and well-versed in the riding of horses.
No fractures (due to horses) all the years before.
Perhaps, fifty-three year-olds need not ride endurance.
Or horses.
"...I dunt thin so, Lucy."
Frank

It's up to Lucy - she is an adult. I suspect my grandparents were a bit negligent - although I though I was invincible. Every kid does. Those were different times. Today they might have been in the cross hairs of a local DA that decided to grow a set of fangs and at least in some states would have the tools to make their very life miserable. I lived, I might not have, but I did. I don't seem to have any long term effect from it - however, there is some dissension to that conclusion ;-) . When the rubber hits the road - that is the only thing that matters.

Do I respect horses - you bet I do. But even as a HW that can still press quite a bit of weight, I had a horse run away from me at an endurance ride when another horse blew past mine without a rider, knocked my foot out of the stirrup. As mine took off I had to get my foot back in the stirrup and by the time I did my horse was at a flat out run chasing the other horse and I couldn't snatch him up no matter what I did. I went down on that one to, but only had a bit or road rash. Am I going to stop riding - nope not at all.

Truman

--

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein