[RC] 20 Mule Team 100 - KimFue

I thought I would give everyone an update on the 20 Mule Team 100 and the PS 100 mile program.  I believe that the 100 miler had 57 starting entries.  The number would have been even higher but a number of riders opted to ride the 65 miler because weather looked like it was going to be extremely cold and wet for Saturday afternoon and evening.  I noticed that many of the horses at the ride were had been clipped probably because of the mild winter we have had in So Cal.  It was 80 degrees four days before the ride and on ride day we were expecting lows in the 20s with snow/sleet or rain.  After hearing the updated weather report at the ride meeting, I decided to stay in the 100.  I decided that if the weather looked bad or turned bad I would just pull before going out of base camp on the 3rd loop (65 miles).  Luckily,  we did not get the predicted weather although it was very cold so I didn't have to make the decision of doing the last loop of the ride.  The completion rate was pretty high (45 riders?) and there were 4 teams that had 100% completion in the 100 mile distance.  I am sorry that I don't know the winner or BC.  I was sitting in the back at awards and couldn't hear very well.

There were several riders enrolled in the PS 100 mile program who were entered in their first 100.  Many of these riders also decided to stay with the 100 mile distance.  I give them alot of credit for trying their first 100 with the predicted weather conditions.  I am not so sure I would have been that committed to face the additional challenge of bad weather as a new 100 mile rider.  Congratulations to Pam Bowen and Catfish Daniels on completing their first 100.  I ran into both riders on the trail and their horses looked and they looked great.  I was at the finish line when Pam finished at 1:00AM and both she and her horse looked great.

TR Whyatt owned by Don & Pam Bowen and Heigh Ho owned by Jonathan Bowman both completed the 100.  This was the 10th 100 for both of these horses.  Fire Mt Blaize (owned by Audrey Scott) finished her first 100.
I rode in with Blaize and Audrey and this mare still had a lot left at the finish line.  In fact,  Blaize looked like she had a lot more left then Audrey :)

Congratulations to the horses that earned an award level at 20 Mule Team.  Jane McGrath and Scamp earned the Gold level with this 100 mile completion.  Magic Moment MRV owned by Sheri Thompson earned his Bronze level award.  Sheri did a great job as she rode the 100 without a crew.  My mare, Fox, earned her Silver level award at this ride.  She finally passed the 2000 mile mark by completing the 100.

If I missed any other enrolled PS horses I appologize as this is just from memory.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648