Re: [RC] 20 MT and Little Big Man - Joe Long

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:24:25 -0700, Bruce Weary <bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  But more impressive to me, and to many who attended, was a new rider
that participated, whom I now call Little Big Man. His name is Colton
Madeiros, and he is six (6) years old. He started the 65 miler with his
dad, Matt, but when his dad got pulled, he continued on and finished
under the watchful eye of Dame Karen Chaton. The next morning, he had
the audacity to walk (even run) normally, and be apparently medication
and caffeine free. He looks like a full grown cowboy that someone washed
in hot water and shrunk in size. He has the boots, jeans, Carharrt
jacket and a black Stetson hat that's as big as he is. Oh, and he
finished the ride in plenty of time for cartoons and milk and cookies. I
am more assured tonight about the future welfare of our sport, with
riders like him stepping up to "wear the pants" of an endurance rider,
while other kids his age are still filling theirs.

At first I wasn't going to respond to this on the list, but I changed my mind.

The two reasons the Junior Committee and the Board of Directors have given for
not having a minimum age for riders at AERC rides are 1) it's not a problem
because it almost never happens anyway, and 2) it's the parents right to make
that decision.

Well, we see again that it does happen, pretty much every year.

And we don't say "it's the horse owner's right to decide when his horse is old
enough."  Why are we less concerned about protecting children than we are about
protecting our horses?

Is it going to take a tragic accident, with a small child severely injured or
worse, before the AERC faces up to its responsibilities?

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx