Re: [RC] Thermister (sp) - Don Huston

At 05:29 AM 2/17/2006 Friday, you wrote:
I was reading the conditioning article in EN last night.  I have used HRM's but I have never heard of a thermistor (might be spelling it wrong).   It is used to check core body temps and dehydration in your horse while you are conditioning them.  Has anyone used one and if so where did you purchase it.  Of all the discussions on ridecamp, I never remember anyone even discussing this issue and then it pops up in EN.  Comments, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

A rough explanation is a "thermistor" senses temperature and converts it to an electronic signal that can be displayed on a screen as a number. It is very small and can be put on the end of a small (but long if necessary) wire and placed under a saddle pad to send the signal to a gauge to display the temp. Click this very long link below to read about the gauge I already have and am planning on trying it on my horse under his pad. Don Huston
http://www.techinstrument.com/cgi-bin/sh001000.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2etechinstrument%2ecom%2facatalog%2fDigital_Thermometers_Thermister%2ehtml&WD=a150q&SHOP=%20&PN=Thermometers_with_Alarms%2ehtml%23a2_21113#a2_21113