[RC] pedometers - Mom Alexander

Does anyone know if these horse pedometers I've seen actually work?  And if they do, how accurate are they, and how do they work?  I can't for the life of me figure out how a little electronic box the horse carries can tell with each step/stride how far that horse has gone.  I like the idea and simplicity of it, but I don't see how they can really work.  I think I saw one called "Horse-O-Meter" on ebay for $35 .