[RC] Is it possible - response to Angie - Sherman

I think some of the attittude of "training for Tevis" comes from the fact that at one time there were no other rides to prepare for. Riders just prepared for the big event, Tevis, and either completed or not, and learned what they needed to do to complete the next time. Julie Suhr's book answers lots of questions about Tevis.

I've heard of other horses in the past few years (since I've lived here) that did Tevis as their first ride, usually under the training and care of experienced Tevis riders. Since the horses are conditioned here in the same canyons, heat, and terrain as the Tevis trail,  it doesn't seem unreasonable at all. The toughest part (IMHO) is from Last Chance to Francisco's. Once you've ridden those canyons several times, you & your horse know the most difficult part of the trail. Some riders will go out on 8-10 hour canyon rides nearly every week, in addition to a couple of easier rides. So in a sense, the horse has proven himself by the time Tevis rolls around. Still, as we all know, anything can & does happen on "ride day".

You are right, at this time there is no mileage requirement for the horse, but I've "heard" it's coming. Having ridden the entire trail, just not all on the same day, I couldn't imagine taking an inexperienced horse on the ride. There are too many narrow cliff trails, with no room for error, that are ridden in the dark for an inexperienced horse. But is a horse that trains here all the time an inexperienced horse? Even with a well prepared, trail savvy horse, $%#& happens.

Kathy

This seems to happen pretty often...somebody plans *one* ride and it's T=
evis.  Why?   I'm just baffled by it but it seems to be a local thing ou=
t there maybe? Something like that wouldn't even cross my mind for me to=
 ponder on it. I looked on the Tevis site, since I was thinking they'd a=
dded a minimum mileage requirement but I see that's just for the rider. =
Are there many people in that neighborhood who just train for that ride,=
 and don't do any others? How does that work out for them?

I think it makes a lot more sense for me to ask you the question than fo=
r you to ask us. As an experienced 100 mile rider...can you really take =
a horse from being a lawn ornament to completing what is supposed to be =
one of the toughest 100 mile events in a year...and them be properly pre=
pared?  To those who do Tevis often...is this common?  I guess it's just=
 that out here, we think of Tevis as something you train for forever, an=
d when your horse has proven he can do everything else you've thrown at =
him, you go try Tevis. Can't imagine it being the *first* thing you thre=
w at him.

I really am curious and not just trying to put you on the spot. Sometime=
s things simply *are* that seem as if they shouldn't be.  The kids in ou=
r school had a science fair this week and some of the experiements didn'=
t turn out like it seemed they should. For instance, a girl had two plan=
ts in 2 2-liter bottles. She filled one bottle daily with exhaust from a=
 car and the other was regular air. The exhaust filled bottle's plant lo=
oked best. Everybody wanted to deny it, but there it was. Maybe a horse =
can go from untrained to ready in a year. Examples anybody? =

Angie