Re: [RC] Is it possible-- reponse to Ed - Dbeverly4

In a message dated 2/15/2006 3:54:06 PM Pacific Standard Time, tallcarabians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Sounds like some great horses, Sylvia, but they don’t quite fit the mold of “untrained” before they started endurance.  They both had a base of previous competition, which would be quite different from a horse that’s just been a pasture potato.

That's true.  OK, I remembered some more <g>.

FX Duende.....one 50 mile ride, then 3 Tevis completions in subsequent years.  Not many other rides at all.  He was a show horse before that, kind of a step up from a pasture potato :).  This was a number of years ago, but he's sound and still going strong (some might say too strong <g>)

The same owner, Cindy Oster, also had 2 other horses, Spring and Baron, who pretty much did nothing before they finished Tevis. (They probably fit the "pure pasture potato" criteria better than the Duende example :)  She did live near the trail though and trained on it regularly.  I think there is an advantage there.  Another example is Dzien Dobrey ridden by Jim McKibbin....no rides prior to Tevis.  He had been doing nothing but the lawn ornament thing for close to a year before Jim got him.

All I'm saying is it can be done.....should it?  Not by the inexperienced, that's for sure.

Sylvia