Re: [RC] Is it possible-- reponse to Ed - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

Most of you would be right, I AM nuts!  And yes, I'm thinking of Tevis &
questioning my own sanity. <g>  I'm not getting any younger & >>my
biological Tevis clock is ticking.

This seems to happen pretty often...somebody plans *one* ride and it's Tevis.
Why?   I'm just baffled by it but it seems to be a local thing out there maybe?
Something like that wouldn't even cross my mind for me to ponder on it. I
looked on the Tevis site, since I was thinking they'd added a minimum mileage
requirement but I see that's just for the rider. Are there many people in that
neighborhood who just train for that ride, and don't do any others? How does
that work out for them?

I think it makes a lot more sense for me to ask you the question than for you
to ask us. As an experienced 100 mile rider...can you really take a horse from
being a lawn ornament to completing what is supposed to be one of the toughest
100 mile events in a year...and them be properly prepared?  To those who do
Tevis often...is this common?  I guess it's just that out here, we think of
Tevis as something you train for forever, and when your horse has proven he can
do everything else you've thrown at him, you go try Tevis. Can't imagine it
being the *first* thing you threw at him.

I really am curious and not just trying to put you on the spot. Sometimes
things simply *are* that seem as if they shouldn't be.  The kids in our school
had a science fair this week and some of the experiements didn't turn out like
it seemed they should. For instance, a girl had two plants in 2 2-liter
bottles. She filled one bottle daily with exhaust from a car and the other was
regular air. The exhaust filled bottle's plant looked best. Everybody wanted to
deny it, but there it was. Maybe a horse can go from untrained to ready in a
year. Examples anybody?

Angie