From: "Sisu West Ranch" <ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <agilbxr@xxxxxxx>,<ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   Having one's head examined
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:52:03 -0700

"... Is it ok to feed him the 10% protein, 10% fat feed I give the big guys? ..."

We feed the same concentrate to all our horses. One time a day all our horses get about a quart of soaked beet pulp, a pint of half corn, half oats, a few vitamins and Vit E Se.

The amount of these concentrates are really a small part of their ration, they are more a vehicle to get the Se into them as we live in a Se deficient area.

Most of their diet is good old MT grass. I just started feeding hay the first of Feb. The hay is also 100% MT grass. I have nothing against some Alfalfa in a horses diet, and usually fed mixed grass alfalfa in WI. Here I raise grass hay, so that is what they get. By the way, when Lewis and Clark rode across my place the Salish were using it for their horses. It seems that it had the best grass in the valley and the horses grew fat and sleek here. The first settlers named the area "Indian Prairie". The next road N of my place is Indian Prairie Loop.

Saami, our coming two year old, looked a bit ribby for a while, but has been growing and is in good health. I would rather he grow up nourished by lots of grass than to be over fat, grow fast and get joint problems. It is my personal opinion that Americans in general feed much to much protein and calories to our young horses. I do not want a 2 yr old, halter winner that is done by 7. I want a horse that grows slowly until he is 7 and is still going down the trail at 22 like Wendy's Raj.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875