[RC] Selling the Farm-Moving to BSF - Roger Rittenhouse

Good and Good News

Carol and I have decided to move to the Big South Fork NRA. We made this decision based on many issues.

Age- Health. My situation is some what limited. I still suffer from neck and back issues related to the major fall -crash - Omni and I took at the PowWow Ride in 2002. The cancer issue while under control ? ? took the spirit out of me last year. For the first year since 1972 I did not ride ONE distance competition. I found I did not miss it.
I DID ride more camp rides. Easy living just having fun doing pleasure rides. Omni can handle that.
I do not see me nor do I care if I ever do another 100 miler. LDs and a few 50 milers will be good enough for me.

Horse issues. Last year was a bad year for both of us. Carol lost 2 of her horses, and I retired Omni. Now we 'might' get to an LD this year to see how Omni and his girl friend DIXIE the mule do. Carol wants to try one.
Later I will start my search for another horse. A new horse is not a real priority for me now.

Get a smaller place. - 88 AC. Been here for 12 yrs now. Place feels like it is getting larger. Lots of just plain general maintenance. With less horses we dont need 33 ac of pasture. We fenced much of it off last year to keep them out.

We have not gone over to Starr Mtn Horse trail but 2 or 3 times last year. Carol has not been there for a year. We ride the trails on our 55 ac of Mtn land and the neighbors.. We have LOTS of trails around. I really dont care to haul all that much to ride. The Starr Mtn horse trails are just great, We are 1.5 miles from the trail head on back county chip roads.. takes 30 minutes to get there by horse..

Just plain economics.

We had wanted to get a small place at BSF - few ac then go up and camp/ride. But could not work that out. Then why have 2 places.? We go to East Fork Horse camp - private with 100 miles of trails ? and the assorted camps around the BSF NRA about 2 to 5 times a year. So why not just get a place there.
I hate cold and winter, but I will just have to deal with it for 2 months :).

We did it. Contract on a place in Spruce Creek Acres- a horse community. Nice place 9 ac with about 6 usable maybe more with some work. It is right in the middle of the main horse trail system and one side bounds the horse trail in SCA. Can go out for short rides in 4 directions on great trails.

The Tellico Plains farm is listed on my web site. It is with an agent. We dont want to do the "sell it your self" mess. Let the pros do it.

Anyone want to move to a great place in south east TN take a look.

If all this goes well, we should be up there by May or June.

Getting ready for the AERC Convention. We get to DRIVE this year.. GREAT. :)

Roger R

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0606-4, 02/10/2006
Tested on: 2/12/2006 6:32:48 PM