[RC] Being Competitive - rides2far

Its like if we honor the winner we are dishonoring those
who complete.  This is a feeling a get from the riders themselves not
the official
recognition from the organization.

I'm not going to talk International. My thoughts about "winners" are more
on the local level. Somehow it seems to have gotten to the point on the
international scene that to be a winner you go beyond any hint of "fun
sport" and enter the realm of "business of racing". Becomes as
interesting to me as a calculous problem.

On the local level...It's hard to explain, but sometimes you don't
glorify the "winner" because it's someone you don't want to encourage to
ride the way they rode. Maybe their horse didn't have a base and they
went fast enough to win but you don't think it'll last...or maybe the
horse looked used up.

Sometimes you don't know whether this rider did it "right" or "wrong" for
several more rides. Say a new rider shows up and wins...I tend to look at
them and think, "That horse probably wasn't ready for that". But then if
they keep coming back week after week and do well...and the horse handles
it well...*now* I'm impressed. I don't get too excited after one win
since there's a good chance that horse'll be lame at the next ride, but a
horse & rider, going fast, looking good and winning is something I enjoy
seeing.

If it's someone we all know, other riders tend to know whether to admire
the winner or not. When the person is announced that does it "right"
everyone cheers and smiles. When the one who uses up 99% wins people
continue to talk to their neighbor, eat, and pretend they didn't hear
anything. I think we really do admire those who win, kick our butts, and
make it look easy, so long as their horses look good at the end.  I have
seen a ride manager almost mumble the BC winner out the corner of their
mouth and immediately go onto another subject when the "winner" looked
bad and an inexperienced at grading BC vet didn't count off enough for
the way the horse looked to make up for high weight or time scores.

I'll never forget the year Terri Cochran & Portrait won OD. There was a
*big* write up in Trailblazer and everyone talked about it like she was
the first person who'd ever won the ride. It was obvious to me that
everyone was THRILLED that she had won. That told me a lot.

As a person who has had to write those articles, I can tell you nothing's
worse than being told to glorify a "winner" who had little skill and lots
of "aggressive riding". Maybe I look harder than others at the words the
writer uses to describe those "winners" because I know what it's like to
refuse to lie...you look for *something* you can say about them without
A. telling the world you think the person's an idiot, or B. Lying and
telling them they should admire this person.  It isn't much a problem on
100's. Seems like you're always interviewing a Kanavey or Rojek who does
things sooo well and you just want to talk to them forever to pick their
brains and hope to pick up something. But on 50's, you can end up with
some real Yahoos winning...and looking back...I was as dumb as any of
them when I won my first ride. (took BC too but he was lame at the next
one):-P

Do I admire *fast* competitors? Yes!  But I tend to look at at least the
top 5. That first place slot requires a *real* drive on the part of the
rider...being determined to be first requires either a lot of risk taking
or to do it safely, a lot of skill at making your horse stronger and not
making any mistakes of your own. To those who can do it well, I give a
LOT of respect. (and you can tell who these people are when you watch)

It's hard to discuss "winners" when you have some that do it sooo well,
and apparently easily...and a few who just seem to defy all logic by
getting to the finish ahead of so many riders who seem to do things so
much better. I think by emphasizing winners for the season rather than an
individual race we run a better chance of rewarding excellence.

Do I want to "race" again? I love it; it's fun...but if I get hold of a
horse I think may be my next 100 mile horse I doubt I'll be willing to
risk much on an individual 50 ride award.  Maybe if it's a horse who does
it "easily" I'll get to. Will I admire the winner at the next ride I go
to? I hope so. I was very impressed by the finishers at the GERA ride.
They made it look easy and looked happier than the slower horses when
they finished.

By the way...the only reason I saw those winners was because I was
filming at the ride...not riding. Those who "complete" seldom really see
the winners so it's not easy for them to make any judgements about how
they did. Those rumors tend to come from the staff.

And as for the idea that the "finish is to win" types don't race...Don't
make me laugh! Been there done that. Every one of them has someone in
mind that they want to beat that day...and they're dead serious about
beating them. Even the turtle beat the ones that got pulled and that
might be exactly who they were gunning for. :-)

Angie