[RC] LD ad nauseum - Peggy B-Smith

Will this thread ever die??
Now we have some LD riders writing explaining why they are "only" riding LD.
Let's get this straight:
No one has to explain why they are doing ANYTHING - if you take care of your horse, finish first, last, in between - what is the problem?
Are you having fun? Is your horse having fun? Are you loving riding the trail, whether it's 25, 30, 35, 50 or 100?
The only negative comment I ever received was at Coso Junction, the last year Mike & Sue had it. I came in fast on the second day of the LD and had a 50 tell me (kind of nasty) "you know, you don't finish until you pulse down!"  Well, yes, I did know that! And my mare took all of 1 minute to come way down. Wasn't racing, just couldn't hold her back!  I just took that comment to mean that 50 rider just had to say something - some people are like that.  I didn't think I was looked down on because one person felt compelled to give advice. Hey, maybe she was honestly trying to educate me!

I didn't do my first 50 until I was 55 years old - 2 years ago. I'm doing my first 100 next week at 20 Mule Team. But, I ain't gettin any younger, and one day if I can only ride LDs, I'll be happy to be doing it.
Everybody - let's just be happy we're riding, whatever the distance.
Don't let the perception that people are looking down on you spoil your accomplishments.

Peggy Bergman-Smith
Bear Valley Springs, CA
A former LD rider, working my way up (and probably one day, workin' my way back to LD!)