[RC] The Big Tent (was:BC at Desert Gold) - k s swigart

Renie Burnett said:

I surely don't want to FORCE anyone into doing anything.

If she doesn't want to force anyone into doing anything, then I wasn't
talking about her.

And, so few rides in the West Region use the AERC BCLD,
I suppose I could just stay home and enjoy my "misery."

Or, since there is apparently an unmet need in the West Region, she
could put on a ride herself that offers AERC BC for LD.  There is
nothing stopping her, or anybody else who wants to attend an LD ride in
the West Region that offers AERC BC for the LD ride from putting one on.

And Richard Sacks said:

I also believe that the methodology of reporting
results should not be at the discretion of any ride manager.
I believe that for a national organization there should be
consistent standards nationwide and the AERC LD rules
provide that framework.

IF the AERC wants to be a big tent that accommodates everybody, then, by
definition it cannot have too rigid of standards.  The more rigid and
uniform your standards, the fewer people there will be that are happy
with them and want to participate.

Kat may be right that some ride managers
might decide not to offer LD rides. This was threatened by
the ride manager at DG. I don't think that a solution offered
in response of organizing an independent LD ride on the same
day (on public land) would be a healthy approach but it could
come to that if enough people are not satisfied with the
way things are run now.

Personally, I consider it a perfectly healthy approach. For those riders
in the western regions who want to compete at less than endurance
distances and get BC awards for their efforts, they and go to NATRC
rides.  At NATRC rides they will find like-minded people who are eager
to give BC awards for riding the 25-35 mile distances.

For those riders in the western regions who want to race to the finish
line at less than endurance distances, they can still do this at an AERC
LD ride.just don't expect any of the current West Region ride managers
to give you a prize or any recognition for it.

If they want a prize and/or recognition for racing, they can go start
their own organization that offers such things. Or, even easier, they
don't even HAVE to start their own organization, they can just put on an
AERC sanctioned ride and offer the awards and placings that the AERC
allows but does not require any ride manager to offer.  If there really
is a significant segment of the AERC population in the West Region that
wants this, there will be plenty of people lining up to attend.

Allowing but not requiring is the way to keep the big tent open to all
participants.  If you start making strict requirements, THAT is when you
get organizations splitting up and forming their own groups.

So, Renie and Richard can now get together and put on a ride that fills
the unmet need in the West Region and offers placings and AERC BC for
the LD.  There is nothing in the AERC's rules that says they can't.

If it is a success, they may then SHOW all the other west region ride
managers how well it works out and THAT might convince these ride
managers to do the same.

kat
Orange County, Calif.