RE: [RC] Average entry fees for a 25 and a 50? - heidi

No land/camping fees.

Good.  In our area, we have a permit fee with federal land agencies, and
a per-rider fee with them.

Insurance costs are covered by sanctioning by AERC aren't they?

Yes.

Trail marking supplies... I don't know, maybe 50??

How close do you live, and what is your means of marking?  Gasoline is a
factor.  $50 will probably cover your marking supplies, if you don't
have any unusual needs.

No costs to measure the trail.

Gasoline?

No generators, just borrowing some extension cords.

OK.

Two vets: $1000?

What is your expected ridership?  And what is your course like?  If you
expect more than 30-40 riders, you will need more than two vets, and if
you have a course without all the vet checks in camp, I'd suggest a
third vet as well.  Your $1000 will probably be in the ballpark for two
vets.  Suggestion--do you have a local vet who would like to learn, who
can work with two experienced vets, and who might work for less than an
experienced vet to get into vetting rides?  And if you have to pay
lodging for any vets, that will be over and above.

Meals/lodging for vets and volunteers... thanks, I'll look into that.

I usually spent $100 or so on groceries for vets/volunteers.

Farrier stand-by fee: nothing, she lives there.

Fair enough--she can either have an easy day of it, or can have the
direct income of her work.

Printing vet cards: nothing, I have a laser printer.

The card stock costs something.  We're lucky here in the NW--PNER
supplies standardized vet cards.  But if you do your own, you will have
SOME small cost.  Print a trail map while you're at it, and an info
sheet, containing start times, anticipated briefing and award times,
where to go locally for gas, groceries and vet, etc.

Cost of completion awards: $300?

Again, how many riders?  I like to find completion awards somewhere in
the $10 per rider range, unless it is billed as a "no-frills" ride.

Cost of placement awards: $50-100?

Two distances?  Figure another $10-$15 per Top Ten award (so you have 20
of those), a winner's award for each distance, a BC for each distance,
perhaps a Junior award for each, etc.  Check out possible donations.
Awards need not cost this much, but depends on what you can find and
how creative you are.

Cost of outside advertising: $100?

Depends where you are.  You've got the AERC listing on their calendar,
and you can link a website to that.  Our PNER handbook offers a
discount to RMs for a full-page flyer, and when I was still actively
managing rides, included a half-page ad in the appropriate issue of
their newsletter.  I think they charge $50 for all of that, which was a
heckuva deal.  If you have to do all your own advertising, it certainly
may run more.

Postage for mailings: $30

Again, depends on the traditions of your region.  That can range from
zero on up.

Things you've not listed:

Porta-potties.  Depends on your ridership, and if you have any out
checks.  Could range from two to six or more. Figure $300 to $900.
Could be less, but price them now, so that you know.

AERC fees.  You've got your initial sanctioning fee, but don't forget to
factor in the per-rider fees that AERC will collect.  At least this is
not a fixed cost, so you can make an educated guess as to the fixed
costs, and then simply add on the AERC fees to calculate your entry
fee.

Are you going to feed the riders at any point?  Have snacks or bottled
water at the checks?  Have hay at the checks?

Will you have a vehicle available as a horse ambulance?  Who will drive
it, and what might your fuel costs be?

Marking crayons.  Not a high-dollar item, but you need a few.

I'm sure I've left something out here, too, but hope this helps.

Heidi