From: Joe Long
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 8:02 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] NOT true endurance

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 13:16:34 GMT, Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Please Reply to: Rob Losey jrlosey@centurytel,net or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

>Mary Ann Spencer's comment to a newbie; "Remember 25 milers are NOT true endurance but a place to start."

>There's is always someone who will tell you 25s aren't much because they're doing 50s, or 50s aren't much because they're doing 100s. They're just stroking they're own ego. I don't pay much attention to people who spend alot of time stroking themselves.

There's a judgemental statement -- and what do you think you are doing by
writing this?  Are you not stroking YOUR ego?  Or engaging in some "sour
grapes?"

>Endurance is working hard. Preparing yourself and horse and pushing yourself while riding within your current limits. That may be a 25, 50, 100, or multiple 100s. Set your own realistic goals and go for them.

That's all true.  However, you are confusing the definition of the word
"endurance" with the definition of an "Endurance Ride."  An Endurance Ride, by
definition in the AERC Bylaws, is an event with one rider/one horse of at least
50 miles length.

An LD ride is a worthwhile event and competing in them worthwhile goals, that
does not make them endurance rides.

>When someone tells you a 25 isn't endurance you can have the smug satisfaction that someday when that person is old, tired, and in their 90s a 25 is no longer within their capabilities. Ask them then what endurance is. It won't be measured in miles, but in feet between the living room and the bath room, and if they can make it in time.

When I am too old or too infirm to ride 50-mile rides (but still able to ride
25-mile rides), I will no longer be an endurance rider.  That will not diminish
by one iota the accomplishments I have earned previously.  When I am too old to
ride 25 miles I will no longer be an LD rider, either.

>Ride your own ride and enjoy the ride.

Good advice.

--

Joe Long