To: <Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2006 8:22 AM
Subject: [RC] Riding Vs Racing

Steph--
I am considered an old-timer in this sport, but I thought I'd throw in my views on the "riding vs. racing" issue. Feel free to delete at will. I don't think the racing component of endurance riding will ever disappear. And, for those who know me, they might be surprised to hear that I don't think that's a bad thing. In fact, the influence that sensible competition has on many of us can be very constructive, even good for us and our horses. Let me explain. Worldwide, the percentage of horses and riders who aspire to compete at the international level and at speeds that would make many of us cringe, is quite small. There are certain factors that keep that percentage small-- finances, time and commitment being the big three. But at the amateur level, I don't see it as simply a matter of "either race or ride to complete." There are many different races going on at any given endurance ride, most of which are taking place at a reasonable level of speed and effort on behalf of the horse. Certainly there is the race for first place. But consider the other "layers" of competition taking place: Many of us hope to finish before another particular rider. Sort of a fun "grudge match". Some try to top ten without the rigors and stress of going for first place. Others ride to beat their own ride time from last year. There's those who ride to do as well or better than another breed of horse. Some try to beat opponents in the same weight division. Some ride fast enough to gather enough points for a year end award. Riding to finish before time runs out is a race for many. A sprint to the finish after riding conservatively all day is fun for friends riding together. And there are those, like you, Steph, who, through dedication and sheer will, manage to capture the Turtle Award in the face of strong competition. ;)
These types of "racing" at endurance rides still call for prudent conditioning and campaigning, and still get our blood pumping, but with markedly reduced risk to the horse. Our equine friends have shown all of us, time and again, how much they can give, how many years and miles they can travel with us happily aboard, if ridden sensibly within the confines of competition outlined above. The horse in in this "dance" with us. We are at each other's risk, and yet we are each other's caretaker and benefactor.
About a year ago, I gave my reasons for why I won't likely ever be seen competing at the international level. I'm happy where I am. Here, for your review, are those reasons once again. Please forgive my repetition.
TOP TEN REASONS I WOULDN'T DO WELL AT THE WEC:
#10) Sand sticks to my anti-chafing cream and gives me a rash.
# 9) I drink coffee before a ride, and when nature calls, I would feel like a 200 lb cat in nature's largest litter box.
# 8) Moving ribbons to throw off the competition takes time. You need tree cover for that.
# 7) My Mercedes doesn't have 4-wheel drive.
# 6) Regarding the webcast: My mother and most of my friends have never SEEN me wear tights. I'd like to keep it that way.
# 5) I worry about what the locals would do to an American male of Norwegian descent caught checking on his horses in the middle of the night,
wearing nothing but Calvin Kleins and overboots. I lose sleep over this one.
# 4) There's no KFC in UAE.
# 3) No one there knows the words to the Bonanza theme song, and I HATE singing alone.
# 2) I couldn't be gone from home that long. My wife might run off with the pool man, and I just couldn't bear that. I would miss him terribly.
And the #1 reason is: My pearl handled six-guns and fluffy chaps put me at a weight disadvantage. (Really attracts the babes, though)

Bruce Weary