[RC] True Endurance - Bruce Weary DC

I took Mary Anne's comment discerning between endurance rides and limited distance rides to merely be a reference to the dictionary definition: Endurance Ride: A timed-event trail ride of at least 50 miles in one day. The subjective experience of "enduring" something, such as pain, writing a thesis or my brother-in-law's jokes, is something different entirely. Using the word "endurance" interchangeably to define a type of ride as well as our perceived difficulty in coping with some uncomfortable activity almost always leads to confusion. And, often, folks take unnecessary offense at the use of the word "endurance" because they think someone is being elitist or exclusive by simply differentiating between an endurance ride and an LD ride. It is literally no different than discerning between a 10K and a marathon. No experienced runner would use the term "marathon" to describe a 10K, or vice versa. Neither would any other runner take offense by clarification of those terms as they are used and understood within that sport.
When you think about it, if someone in our sport really wanted to be "uppity" or "elitist," there are so many more colorful ways they can do it. Only the speaker of these words knows the meaning they want to convey. To take offense where none is intended is anti-productive. Bruce Weary