RE: [RC] [RC] The Meaning of Endurance Riding - Juli Jakub

As a newbie I have spent the weekend thinking about what Steph asked. I am no stranger to competition. I competed high level eventing as well as dabbling in hunters, jumpers, dressage, and polo. I was trying to think what it was about endurance that attracted me after I was fed up with competition of other types. I think it was four things that I admired about the sport:
1) time: endurance riders spend alot of time with their horses. That appealed to me. The idea of all those miles bonding both training miles and competition miles. I want to spend lots of time in the saddle and lots of time with the equines that I have the honor of calling my partners.
2) knowledge: It seemed to me that in general endurance riders have more knowledge about their horse's systems, needs, respiration, hooves, ect than other disciplines. You have to know I suppose. In other disciplines that are short spurts ( two minute jumping round for instance) you can get pretty far and not really know your horses resting pulse rate! I like the idea of having to know my horse inside and out. I felt that endurance made not just good riders, but more importantly good horse people and caretakers. In general YOU and not a groom is responsible for making sure your horse is cared for although you may have help and that responsibility made sense to me.
3) The chance to define my own goals be it just finishing or top tenning or BC. In the ring you can feel proud of your accomplishments and small victories ( yes we made it over a liverpool without a refusal!), but unless you get a ribbon people do not see success. I felt that endurance as a community appreciates the struggles, challenges, and joys of all sorts of achievment and that appealed to me.
4) History. the chance to see the history of different areas and experience a small piece of what it might have been like to travel before cars.
These are the things that attracted me and I hope they are true as I get out to my first competitions. They seem to be from lurking on ridecamp. I hope they remain true. As for international competition....I once dreamed of exactly the same thing in a different discipline. I soon found that I do not have the money to neccesarily dream of that particualr goal. I have to work a full time job not only to support my habit, but to help support my household and help my husband....who has time or money for international competition? If my horse is talented I might change my mind...I might start to want top tens and BC's. I might start to think maybe I should gain some weight ( at 110 lbs with tack I would worry to add that much dead weight on my horse honestly) and try FEI...nothing is impossible. But for now I will dream smaller of completions of 25's, 50's...maybe a 100 ( let's not get ahead of myself here) with a happy horse and be happy that I have seem to have found a community that will support me in those goals and not berate me for the lack of a blue ribbon! I hope that there is always endurance riding for those who love it and racing for those who need that level of competition with something other than themselves and the trail. I think done responsibly both are important for the growth of the sport. Cheers,
Juli

<P>Juli Jakub</P>
<P>The Air of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears.</P>
<P>~ arabian proverb</P></DIV></html>

or will we eventually change? as our next generation of riders grows up
with a more global view of the sport and perhaps set their sites on
International competition, championship victories? or will our sport split,
into Endurance Riding and Endurance Racing ? Are they compatible? AERC seems
to try to embrace both styles - awarding high point riders and horses as
well as high mileage and career achievements. is this sustainable?

thoughts? It would especially be fun to hear from some new folks out there -

Steph