[RC] Larger frame horses - Equus Wolf

As I've been getting my Paint mare conditioned, I have been carefully watching her body type as she has slimmed down and put on muscle.  I was afraid that she would bulk up muscle-wise, but she is getting longer more toned muscle.  I know personally what it is like to have the bulky muscles.  I have to be very careful of what types of exercises I do because my muscles bulk up so fast.  Thankfully riding doesn't cause this issue!

I am planning to only ride LD this year, and hopefully if things go as planned, sprinkle in a 50 or so next year.  I'm not sure what exactly got me so interested in endurance.  I don't care if I come in first or place in top ten or if I end up riding with the safety rider (those do exist right?  the person I am training with says she's never seen one!).  I do care that my horse is in great shape and health.  I think it is a challenge for me because of the fears that have somehow infested my mind over the years.  It is totally different than training to show for hunt seat or dressage and makes you so much more aware of your horse and what he/she is telling you.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the bonding just the conditioning has brought between myself and my Paint mare.  My TB mare is a gem when it comes to traffic, going under interstate overpasses and other things that a lot of horses would spook or be afraid of, and she loves to jump and does fairly well in dressage.  But, her tiny boned, narrow frame is just not made for travelling on the trail faster than a walk, except on occasion.  Even in very good shape, a hunter pace(6-10miles) ridden mostly at a trot, is pushing her limits.  Shelby on the other hand, is like a mountain goat.  She handles having to turn around on a steep hill or uneven ground, whatever the trail dished out, like she was born to it.  She can trot forever it seems (and even though her previous owners said she was lazy), she gets bored if we just walk too long.  But she will slow down if the footing requires more attention.  It has just amazed me how much more I have bonded with her out on the trail than with my other horse in the arena.  It's totally different.
I think I'm totally addicted.  And if Shelby is never able to go up to even 50s, it won't matter to me.  I'm having fun along the way and so is she!

Jennifer