Re: [RC] Made for endurance or no? - Mary Ann Spencer

"There have been lots of discussions on various forums about what makes an endurance horse and my take on the general consensus was that it?s the heart/desire of the horse that?s the most critical."

Most will agree with that.  I rode an APHA mare for a while and would still be riding except she had an unfortunate adverse reaction to medication and died.  HOWEVER, we did do one 25 miler and she did fine.

HOWEVER, a very important thing you MUST be mindful of is how bulky are the muscles.  Luckily the paints are not the bull dog conformation of so many qtr horses.  The bulky muscles make it harder for the horse to cool down.  You may be limited to the cooler cliimate rides but that is also individual for each horse.

Another consideration  is temperament and easy of handling... many Arabs get so excited they are hard to handle and that makes for a more dangerous ride for all concerned.

You just can't beat a surefooted, easy to handle horse for endurance as long as the conditioning is there.  But you may never do 100 milers.  If that is not your goal, you will probably be able to elevate to 50s with no problems.  Remember 25 milers are NOT true endurance but a place to start.