Re: [RC] The Meaning of Endurance Riding - DVeritas

In a message dated 2/5/2006 2:54:13 A.M. Mountain Standard Time, Pvan19@xxxxxxx writes:
Inevitably with money entering the sport and people starting to 'professionalise' and trying to make a living out of it - speeds are up, average career lengths of horses are down

Horses are started younger, have less time to prove themselves, the pool of potential endurance horses is growing as breeders produce more stock.. riding costs are rising all the time ( think extra administrative stuff, passports, chips, registration, ...) so horses have to start earning their keep earlier.. etc.

More emphasis is placed on rider fame rather than horse fame - read some ride reports from say UAE and you'll know who won but not whom he/she (well, rarely she) was riding!
A perspective from Europe says it for me.
What we had, still have (to some degree) is worth keeping and protecting.
There are riders in America who can ride really fast on really great horses who are old enough age-wise, are part of a thorough and targeted conditioning/training program whose purpose is fast endurance racing.
But, that's the minority of horses.
The MAJORITY of horses in American endurance are not fit for true racing AND campaigning.    So, why pretend?  Why truly risk the welfare of the horse?  I know, I know, "on that day, at the race...we were the best"......no thanks.

Endurance riding is a pretty neat thing.
(Sorry, Steph.  I know you wanted to hear from riders new to the sport....

Frank Solano
AERC 8422