RE: [RC] The Meaning of Endurance Riding - Pvan19

Well Steph I can say that from my experience in France & surrounding countries the emphasis is definitely shifting towards winning rather than completing

Personally I much admire the mileage/career concept which exists in the US and have tried to introduce this here on a small scale... not many riders are interested!

Inevitably with money entering the sport and people starting to 'professionalise' and trying to make a living out of it - speeds are up, average career lengths of horses are down

Horses are started younger, have less time to prove themselves, the pool of potential endurance horses is growing as breeders produce more stock.. riding costs are rising all the time ( think extra administrative stuff, passports, chips, registration, ...) so horses have to start earning their keep earlier.. etc.

More emphasis is placed on rider fame rather than horse fame - read some ride reports from say UAE and you'll know who won but not whom he/she (well, rarely she) was riding!

There will always be an 'amateur' (in the proper sense) group riding for fun while making their horse last but undeniably this group is getting smaller here.

The 'to finish is to win' motto remains valid ... but not for all.

UAE & even parts of Europe ofcourse don't help from a geological aspect - no 'true' wilderness to conquer anymore at low speeds... what else can you do in the desert but RACE?

so to answer your question - I'm afraid more & more riders will compete more & complete less

brgds

Pauline

ps I believe there is a prize draw for spectators of the President's cup - make sure you enter ; might win 3500$!!! Now there's a way of increasing spectators that we simply cannot compete with...
From: "Steph Teeter" <stephteeter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [RC]   The Meaning of Endurance Riding

I'd like to see some serious, civil discussion on the concept of Endurance
'Riding' vs Endurance 'Racing'.

I'm headed back to UAE next week to cover the Presidents Cup 160km event
(Feb 18). In UAE as well as most of the rest of the world, there is a strong
emphasis on Winning, and along with it a focus on Training to Win. I'm sure
there are many exceptions, but as the sport grows around the world, it is
developing more as a competition, a 'race', then as a recreational 'ride'.
Not everybody tries to win at every event - many use events as training and
conditioning - preparation for a time when a particular horse can excel - do
it's best. Riders and trainers are not stupid in this respect, but there is
more definitely an eye on a final goal of winning, excelling, doing the best
ride for a given horse on a given day.

I don't think there are a lot of career 'mileage' riders in most of the rest
of the world, at least in my experience and observation. The horses and
riders that are most honored are the ones that do well at an event,
especially if they can have a career of doing well.

Some thoughts...

will the rest of the world eventually be more like the US? as their riders
mature, their experience grows? Will they value the horse and rider that log
thousands of miles as much, or more than the horse and rider that win
championships? Will they compete less and complete more?

or will we eventually change? as our next generation  of riders grows up
with a more global view of the sport and perhaps set their sites on
International competition, championship victories? or will our sport split,
into Endurance Riding and Endurance Racing ? Are they compatible? AERC seems
to try to embrace both styles - awarding high point riders and horses as
well as high mileage and career achievements. is this sustainable?

thoughts? It would especially be fun to hear from some new folks out there -

Steph