Re: [RC] The Great Santa Fe Trail Horse Race - rides2far

Well Suzanne,
You've joined the list now. Give it up. You're *going* to do endurance!
g<

Thank you for your input. I knew folks would suggest tights

I've done endurance in jeans, etc. but always had plenty of "recovery
time". If you plan on going day after day and will be adding insult to
injury you'd better keep *all* the options open...tights, powder, etc.
etc. I'd find pictures of somebody like Karen Chaton who can't seem to
stop riding and do what they do! :-)  Don't worry about what you look
like. There's always *somebody* who looks worse.  Black with no print on
a black saddle is my choice to try to blend in to the background. :-P
Tights should be tight. I've gotten little rubs from shifting tights but
never from tight ones.

and > probably> another saddle.

The weight of the saddle isn't the big deal. The main things I"d be wary
of on a western is the rigging too far forward so that a horse that's
giving you an extended trot gets rubbing. Most endurance saddles have the
girth set farther back. You can fake that by running your cinch down to
the girth, then coming up and tying at the *back* ring. Also removes that
knot from under your knee.  The type of western saddle will matter. Some
put you very much in a chair position and that would be the pits. An
equitation saddle might get  your leg under you better. If you have to
lean forward to get over your feet your back is going to kill you. I've
seen people use barrel racing saddles. Heck, I know a saddle builder who
just saws the horn off a barrel tree to make an endurance saddle.

I'd get some E-Z rides or some other type of deep endurance stirrups
regardless. Best purchase I ever made.  I used to ride western. I do
endurance in an Ortho-Flex Express. It's got a western type seat with
more English type stirrups that have no fender. No buckles under the leg,
etc. It mostly needs to fit the horse, fit you, and let you ride
correctly. Weight is not the top priority by any means.

In preparation for the Santa Fe I will for sure be entering two 50
mile> rides this spring.

Good idea. That will give you a chance to try stuff out with time to heal
if they don't work. Shoeing is a HUGE deal. I'd really work hard at
having my shoeing schedule hit just right for that thing.

My goal is to gather as much > information as
I possibly can about appropriate wear, gear, conditioning and tricks
of the> trade.

I'd go do PR's at a multi-day, watch and listen!

I will for sure check out your newbie recommendations. I do
have a
book on endurance riding that I purchased years ago.

Lots has changed since I started. Some of it will be up to date, some
dated.

Endurance saddles are so confusing, there are so many different
types. Some> are padded some not etc, etc. Some actually do not look
comfortable
at all.> Is there a favorite brand that folks gravitate to? What brands
do
you advise> to stay away from.

You may buy the greatest most expensive saddle out there but if it
doesn't fit your horse that's not going to work. You'd do better to
describe your horse's back...is he wide, high withered, etc. and ask what
people have had luck with that with type of horse. Then, when they tell
you how great they do with that one, look up their record and see if
they've actually done anything. If you're taking three horses and one
saddle, you've got to hope they're built somewhat alike.

Do folks recommend chaps or 1/2 chaps for endurance riding?

Today I've noticed people posting they ride in chaps. In 20 years of
competition, I don't believe I have ever seen anyone do a ride in chaps.
LOTS of us wear half chaps.

I hope I do not clog up the
list with> all of these novice questions.

No problem!  We'll try to help with your novice questions, you can hang
around and be on call for DVM questions. >eg<

Angie