[RC] re [RC] : coming back from the dead - Nancy

Micki,
I have had a very bad '06 beginning with getting bucked off on Christmas Day
(06) and breaking my tail bone (coccyx).  I have neurological involvement
and now one  year later I am not 100% back to normal.  My husband was killed
3 weeks after I was injured. I have had one hell of a year.
To heal myself I started with chiropractic adjustments as my hips were
knocked out.  I am sure my pelvis would have been broken if I was older.  I
had to sleep on the floor for many weeks.  I started physical activity with
a Physical Therapist (PT).  This was outrageously expensive, so I had the
therapists show me specific exercises to do on my own and did them at home.
I went back to PT to revise my exercise prescription every few weeks.
Once I was healed so I could walk several blocks, do some (as in a few) sit
ups I went to a local gym.  At first I just did a bit of cardio on the
treadmill, elliptical, bike, etc.  I would then do sit-ups, pushups and
stretch. I had chiropractic adjustments once or twice a month as needed.  My
chiropractor also had me do specific exercises too.
After about 6 months I was able to start riding again.  This has been the
best medicine!  I hate ring work so almost 100% of my riding time has been
on the trail.  My horse needed to go slow at first too so we worked together
getting ready for both 25 mile limited distance and CTR's.
At 9 months after my injury I bit the bullet and got a personal trainer.  A
word of caution is needed here about personal trainers.  You need an
experienced trainer that understands your injuries and will work with you.
I had a very bad experience with a young trainer and ended up in bed on
Vicodan for 5 days.  Again, an experienced trainer is what you are looking
for.  Yes, they do cost money, but you can have them give you a routine and
gets used to the routine.  Yes, you need to change your workout in order to
continue to get better.
An article was published last year in Endurance News that addressed what
muscles need to be worked for endurance riding.  I copied it and gave it to
my trainer.  It was invaluable!  (I hope they publish another one soon.)
For riding the article states that core muscles. i.e. abdominal, back, upper
back, etc. are key to surviving a ride.  The better shape those muscles are
that hold you upright, balance you, post, etc the better you feel after 25
or more miles.  I have done 2 25 mile LD's and 4 CTR's now and I can say the
more time I spend working out is inversely related to how bad I hurt after a
ride.
Now the diet part is going to start real soon.  I had to be honest with
myself as I have not been mentally ready to diet.  I have not been ready to
go without my comfort food.  For me carbs are what keeps my butt big and my
tummy round.  I know what I need to do to lose the weight for my poor horse,
my health and mental happiness, but I need to be mentally ready to do it.
Now that the holidays are just about done and soon it will be the one year
university of losing my husband, I feel the beginnings of a mental shift.
It's kind of like how you feel at the end of winter and you long to feel the
sun again.
Anyway, I hope this long ramble has something remotely helpful for you.
Happy New Year! (it has to get better, it has to be better...)
Nancy Reed
Lazy J Ranch
 in loving memory of Jerry Gradisher, 1961-2006
Elfin Forest, CA

-

From: Horseraser@xxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   New question for all-coming back from the dead

Okay guys here it goes:
I haven't been able to ride for two years because of an owie. I got the
owie
fixed and now I need to start getting in shape to ride.  How does one  come
back from a fat body, surgery and sitting around feeling sorry for
yourself?
All advice will be taken seriously :) Seriously I need training  advice for
me
and not my horse.  And my next question how long has it taken  some of you
get back in shape for a 50 miler?
Micki Turney