[RC] Tevis Discussion - Kathie Ford

As far as the ditch problem last year I spoke with a rider who is also on the board and he was also riding last year. He said there was a problem at the same ditch in the beginning for the first group of which he was in the very front. Some horses there also shied. I believe there were glow sticks in the ditch or whathave you. Anyway, he said the difference was that those riders who's horses shied or spooked weremoved over and did not block the other riders and all flowed right thru safely.

That other bunch up was just plain rude and dangerous. I was told from the above person if that ever happened anywhere on that ride again to gather the riders number and let the officials know at the next stop or trot by as it was very dangerous, rude and of course caused many not to finish their ride. In turn, that rider/horse team would be DQ'd. He didn't understand why nobody got the number and turned them in.

I rode the prior year in 2005 and was at the very end of the first group. All the horses were quiet and well behaved, although my mare for an instant thought she could quietly "backup" to the front of which I let her know she couldn't. Was sort of funny as I knew what she was thinking as she scanned the horses in front of her. Boy were the wheels turning! But even she stood quietly for what seemed like an eternity and off we went. Was a real thrill actually. Almost surreal.

This year we are trying again and and I sure hope they don't assign the groups like they did. A good idea sort of gone bad by behaviors of others. I felt very sorry for those stuck in all that.

I was a volunteer at Robinsons and I heard many stories about what had happened. But then, it is Tevis and no one ever knows what that day holds!

kathie