[RC] re: Suzanne, etc. - Cindy Collins

Hi, Suzanne.? I started the sport in 1980. All of us old timers started out the sport in jeans, then added panty hose, wrapped our poor legs in vet wrap, etc.? I have 20+ year old scars on my legs from those experiences. Suck up your pride and buy a top quality pair of tights and some good half chaps.? There are probably 5 or 6 twenty year olds out there who look good in tights...the rest of us hate them, but know our body is more important than our vanity :)? Every one of us has a different favorite brand of tights, saddles, boots, half chaps, etc.? We can really argue over them, too!? As to your saddle, whether or not it really fits your horse and doesn't cause him problems over 50 miles is what REALLY matters.? Keep in mind that very few experienced endurance riders use a western saddle.? (I do know one who rides an ancient lightweight barrel saddle.? She also rides in jeans.? She is not really human, but she is one of my heroes in this sport.? She also has an ancient English saddle she occasionally uses...just depends on how broke the horse is.? I would not suggest using her as a model for rider comfort, though.)? I currently use a Reactor Panel endurance model saddle, but have been successful in a variety of English and Western style endurance saddles and in a dressage saddle.? If you can find someone with a saddle you are interested in, beg them to let you borrow it and ride in it for at least 10 miles.? Get a sheepskin cover no matter what saddle you use.? I love my Ariat Terrain half chaps because they really breathe, but are tough.? I use Ariat Terrain boots or good running shoes.? I use EZ Ride stirrups with safety cages.? ?On tights, Evelyn Allen comes highly recommended for custom tights.? I've used Equessentials, Kerrits, and Tropical Rider.? Saddle Bums are also well thought of.? You're going to get a ton of good advice now.? You just have to put in the miles and figure out what will work for you.? Best of luck...you'll know so much more after your first 50.

Cindy Collins