[RC] NYC riding - Mike and Laurie Hilyard

About 20 years ago when I was younger and (more) foolish, I was visiting a friend who lived in Brooklyn but worked in the city.  She went to work that day, and I wandered around Manhattan.  I rented a horse for an hour, a huge paint, and took him for a ride in the park.  I was by myself, and the owner watched me ride twice around the arena then told me to make three rights (so I'd go with the one-way traffic) and I'd be at the park entrance.  I rode him, mostly at a walk, around the pond.  It was one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences that I could never do again, but I'll treasure.  To be in the middle of a horse - my comfort zone - in all that city "stuff" - decidedly NOT my comfort zone, made a great dichotomy that isn't easy to repeat.  The horse was bomb proof, but not in a coma - he trotted and cantered when I asked.  Definitely one of the best trained horses I've ever ridden.  The horses were in a remodeled parking garage and the arena was on the ground level.  When you walked in and said you wanted to ride, they called upstairs and the horse came down the ramp - unaccompanied - and was caught at the bottom.  After the ride, he was led back to the ramp, turned loose, and up he went.  I would never bring my country mouse horses into that place, but it was well worth the money (about twice what you can rent a horse for anywhere else).

Laurie in Clare, Michigan