Re: [RC] skunks be gone rabies! - Sisu West Ranch

The prevalence of rabies varies tremendously around the country.  The most common carrier also varies.  Some areas it is bats.  Some areas it is foxes (As I understand, Europe it is almost always fox).  Some areas it is Skunks.

Iowa, MN, and WI are hotbeds of rabies.  Skunks are the most common carriers there.  Our vet recommended horses be vaccinated when we lived there.

Rabies is nothing to be fooled around with.  In the '70's there was a woman in WI who died of rabies.  It turned out that she got it from a cornea transplant.  The donor of the transplant was exhumed, and she was posthumously diagnosed as having died of rabies.  Further investigation pinned the probable source as a Skunk.

I do not allow skunks to live on my place.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875