Re: [RC] Splints - Marlene Moss

Title: Message
I have 2 horses that have had a splint bone removed.  One had multiple fractures.  He ended up with a lot of scar tissue on the leg (not sure why, I didn't have him when the surgery was done, he's sort of a dufus and I'm sure didn't cooperate with recuperation!) but is sound on it.  A very large portion of the splint was removed so I'm limiting him to non-competitive trail use since he doesn't enjoy anything else.

The other had a lengthwise fracture.  The popped splint was cold and hard when I got her and no issues, but over time, either disturbed it by stress or a bump with the other leg and the fracture vibrated and started adhering to the cannon.  The vets who saw her had never seen anything like the fracture.  After removal, no bump for a while, but one did appear later.  She's been completely sound and has since done multi-day 50's and got close to completing her first 100 (it wasn't lameness that stopped her, just not inclined to continue after the last in-camp vet check!)

I think if the splint bone is causing a problem you are going to be better off getting it removed and it shouldn't be too difficult to recover if you have a place to limit motion.  But do keep in mind that the splint bone does provide some support for the leg.

Good luck!
Marlene

Marlene Moss
Boarding/Training - www.LosPinos-CO.com